Naturally, I started swearing in my mother tongue and feeling quite upset :) Well, after calming down, I tried to see the upside of this event. I had all this tiny pieces, assorted in colour families.... hmmmm why not try to put them back together I say. I heard that if you grind up the bits and add water you can reclaim the pastels.
|Collect all the bits (I sorted them in colour families)|
|Grind it up well|
Add water with spray bottle and mix it well with apainting knife. I made couple of lumps and gradually added some white pastel to get different tints.
Shaped them in rough rectangles and left them to dry for a day. The quality is so so, a bit to rough and "chalky" for my taste. I really enjoy the smoothness of Terry Ludwig or Senellier pastels compared to these homemade ones. One interesting byproduct of grinding up different pastel colours together is that you get a slight confetti effect, meaning colour in not 100% uniform. I kinda like that, it makes the painting process a bit surprising.
I ended using them in this study painted from acouple of different photos taken during my Turkey vacation.
|scuba diving spot near Bodrum|